4 KEY LIFE QUESTIONS, JOHN 8 PART 3


4 Important Questions That our Limited Brain Power 

Can Never Figure Out


http://www.peinadosymas.com/
           1.  Where are You From?
             2.    Where are you now?
             3.    Where are you going?
             4.    Who are you?

As we dive into this important topic, keep in mind that:
  • Our limited brain power can neither grasp truths that require Holy Spirit’s illumination to be understood, 
  • Nor does intellect alone bring life to the soul. 

As we live in this reality, we will grasp marvelous things that help us as born again disciples of Jesus.

John 8: 23   “And He said to them, ‘you are from beneath; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
24   Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.’
25   Then they said to Him, ‘Who are You?’ ”

Think about how you would answer these questions.


Where are you from?   I could answer that question simply, I’m originally from Brooklyn, NY. The US is a nation of immigrants and it is trendy to include where our family’s emigrated from, so I might add Russian Jewish American because my Great Grandparents emigrated from there (circa 1900). However, the more important response is that I was born in sin and lived a Godless, sinful life until I got saved at the age of 20 – I was from beneath, living a life headed to hell. Now I can say that I am from above because I was born again of the Spirit of God (1971).

yes, that's me now
Where are you now?   Again the simplistic answer is at the desk in my home office. I also could say I am living in well earned retirement. Those responses answer the question only from the intellectual perspective. A better response is that I am walking with Jesus in the path He has called me to. BUT, can we say, in the present tense, I am completely living as a born again believer, dead to sin and alive to God? If you answer “yes” to that, then I would have to assume you are not looking at life realistically.  Until Jesus takes us home, either in the rapture or physical death, we are in the salvation / sanctification process. Perhaps the most appropriate answer to where we all are now is “usually walking with Jesus through the process.”

https://qz.com/work/
Where are you going?   A common thing factory workers say at the end of their shift is, “I’m heading home….”  Jesus said,

John 14: “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me.
2   In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
3   And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.”

Any believer can say that at the end of our time on this planet we are headed to our heavenly home. We live our lives pointed in that direction. During the Israelite's exodus from Egypt to Canaan they had to pass through occupied territory. The following verse details the promise they had to make in order to get through that king’s land.

Numbers 20:17   “‘Please let us pass through your country. We will not pass through fields or vineyards, nor will we drink water from wells; we will go along the King’s Highway; we will not turn aside to the right hand or to the left until we have passed through your territory.’ ”

Here Jesus describes the road Christians must take to get through our earthly journey,
 
Matthew 7:13-14   “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it.

Can you say with me, “I’m headed home?”

Who are you?   Jesus had no identity crisis. He knew exactly who He was. He carefully framed His response to the question based on the heart condition of those He was communicating with. I think most people, at some points in their lives, have trouble understanding their identity. For some it becomes a crisis, as it did for me back in the late 1960’s, a couple of years before I met Jesus. When we face a life crisis, such as a divorce, the untimely death of a family member, or sudden termination from a job, we struggle with this issue all over again. When we understand who we are in Christ the issue can be faced in a wonderful, life giving way.

These are natural emotional reactions to the stresses of life. However, Jesus demonstrates an approach that doesn’t give place to that, nor to those harassing Him. No, indeed, as we have seen Him do repeatedly, He ignores such a line of questioning and declares things that require the illumination of Holy Spirit to understand.

John 8:25   “Who are you?” they demanded.
Jesus replied, “The one I have always claimed to be.
26   I have much to say about you and much to condemn, but I won’t. For I say only what I have heard from the one who sent me, and he is completely truthful.”
27   But they still didn’t understand that he was talking about his Father.
28   So Jesus said, “When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand that I am he. I do nothing on my own but say only what the Father taught me.
29   And the one who sent me is with me—he has not deserted me. For I always do what pleases him.”
30   Then many who heard Him say these things believed in Him.”

Jesus defines who He is as He continuously demonstrates that He is His Father’s Son. As we see in verse 30 the results were spectacular and exactly the Lord’s intent throughout the Bible. Now He can turn from addressing the Pharisees and say a few words to the many who believed in Him. Picture Him physically turning His back on the religious leaders and facing a different part of the crowd as He says,

John 8:31   “Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, ‘If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.
32   And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’
33   They answered Him, ‘We are Abraham’s descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, ‘You will be made free’?”
34  “ Jesus answered them, ‘Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.
35   And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.
36   Therefore if the SON makes you free, you shall be free indeed’.”

Realizing this, there is nothing to say but, “Thank You, Lord, for the peace and blessed assurance we enjoy because our lives are in You, our hope is in You and our destiny is in You.”

As the discussion with the Pharisees continues, Jesus demonstrates “tough love” with very strong language. He had some very negative things to say to those standing against Him and the Good News He brought to mankind. These selected verses capture the conflict. We know that the Lord’s motive was love because God is Love, and He exposes their sin very boldly and publicly because they exhibited it publicly.

John 8:38   “I speak what I have seen with My Father, and you do what you have seen with your father.”
39.a   “They answered and said to Him, ‘Abraham is our father’.”
39.b   “Jesus said to them, ‘If you were Abraham’s children, you would do the works of Abraham.
41   You do the deeds of your father.
44   You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do.
46   Which of you convicts Me of sin? And if I tell the truth, why do you not believe Me?
47   He who is of God hears God’s words; therefore you do not hear, because you are not of God’.”

Now again a climactic stage is set. Jesus is about to make things so plain that the spirit motivating the Pharisees rages and attempts to stone the Lord. Exhibiting such rage should bring conviction to these religious people’s hearts, and in the long run it did for some.

John 8:50   “And I do not seek My own glory; there is One who seeks and judges.
51   Most assuredly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he shall never see death.”
52   Then the Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon! Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word he shall never taste death.’
53   Are You greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? And the prophets are dead. Who do You make Yourself out to be?’ ”

Obviously the Pharisees’ backs are to the wall, they are really getting agitated and Jesus does not let up. The light is coming and the darkness is fighting to stay.

John 8:54   “Jesus answered, ‘If I honor Myself, My honor is nothing. It is My Father who honors Me, of whom you say that He is your God.
55   Yet you have not known Him, but I know Him. And if I say, ‘I do not know Him,’ I shall be a liar like you; but I do know Him and keep His word.
56   Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad.’
57   Then the Jews said to Him, “You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?”
https://blog.peacebewithu.com/divinity-of-christ-the-great-i-am/
58   Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”
59   Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid Himself and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.”

Verse 58 puts nails in the coffin, but because He spelled it all out, we all see His message to the world. Jesus shows us that HE is God and lives outside of time. Then He identifies Himself with the same name that God identified Himself to Moses. To the Pharisees this was the utmost of blasphemy, a capital offense and they were not waiting for a trial to carry out the sentence. He was able to just walk away and hide from the stones, then just stroll through the crowd escaping the whole scene.

Sometimes in life we all need stern correction. I thank God for the loving gentlemen / servant leaders who God used to transform my life, shedding light on my darkness and getting me back into the light; people who loved me enough to use tough love.

Prayer   Jesus, despite some really grievous things Christians have done that dishonored Your name, You never stopped loving them. We’ve seen in this chapter how the religious leaders tried to bring You down to their level of legalism and false concepts of God, and yet You never stopped loving them; You never stopped revealing the Light of the Gospel. Even when they were instrumental in getting You crucified, You asked the Father to forgive them. May Your people everywhere function with such love, with such wisdom, discretion and zeal to stand for the Truth.

Thank you for setting us free indeed. Help us to always abide in You and stay on that narrow road that leads to life. Help us to identify what is really worthy of our time and attention; and what is not so that we can just change the subject to things relating to You and Spiritual truth instead of adversarial babble.


THANK YOU FOR READING THIS TO THE END. PLEASE ADD YOUR INSIGHTS, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, etc. IN THE BOX BELOW. No one will see them until reviewed and approved. 

Comments