A THANK YOU TO THOSE IN HARMS WAY


John 10 Part 2


Selfless Living: The Issue and the Process


Before getting into the Biblical principles of Selfless Living, let’s look at the greatest examples and offer A Thank You to Those In Harms Way

Why do you do what you do? What motivates you to do things? The biggest gear that Makes Jesus Tick is caring for others.
John 10: 11   I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His [own] life for the sheep.
12   But the hired man [who merely serves for wages], who is neither the shepherd nor the owner of the sheep, when he sees the wolf coming, deserts the flock and runs away; and the wolf snatches the sheep and scatters them. 13   The man runs because he is a hired hand [who serves only for wages] and is not concerned about the [safety of the] sheep. [AMP]
I was moved by this scripture, convicted about some selfish attitudes. Coupled with the following quote from a Dental Hygienist, this was a double whammy morning. I hope you experience this same touch of Holy Spirit on your heart as you read the following.



If you are a healthcare provider, a first responder in any capacity, or especially in the military or a military Veteran, you live selfless exemplary lives. We THANK YOU for your service.

For those of us who are not, we also are called to reflect the love of God, who we gave our lives to, by applying the same attitude of selfless living. It really boils down to two questions:
Why do you do what you do?
What motivates you to do things?

The Issue:

As we look at Jesus we realize we all fall short. When we live without totally yielding to Christ the Lord, we mess up because we are not relying on Holy Spirit to provide the power and guidance.

The Process:

So, how do we get there? Well, it’s not a one shot deal; there’s no quick fix or pill that instantly makes a person totally selfless. It’s a process and the Word has much to say about it.
The first step must be to acknowledge we’re not there yet and tap into the power to live in this newness of life as described in the following verses. The faith to do so is a byproduct of understanding What Makes Jesus Tick and asking Him for help to be like that.
2 Corinthians 5:17   Therefore if anyone is in Christ [that is, grafted in, joined to Him by faith in Him as Savior], he is a new creature [reborn and renewed by the Holy Spirit]; the old things [the previous moral and spiritual condition] have passed away. Behold, new things have come [because spiritual awakening brings a new life].[AMP]
John 1:12   But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [KJV]
Galatians 2:20   I have been crucified with Christ [that is, in Him I have shared His crucifixion]; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body I live by faith [by adhering to, relying on, and completely trusting] in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.[AMP]
I hope you are already in this process and are eager to continue with ever greater fervency. The following verses from Philippians so clearly describe it.
Philippians 3:12   Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus.
13   Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
14   I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
15   Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

Prayer: Father, guide us in this process. Help us to keep our eyes fixed on Jesus and our hearts pressing on through every obstacle, every personal shortcoming, every distraction of the enemy of our souls. May we never lose sight of the goal of becoming more like Jesus.
Philippians 3:8   Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9   And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
10   That I may know Him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

Comments