A Pattern of Selflessness, John 10 Part 5

John 10 Part 5

A Pattern of Selflessness



The Lord is consistently selfless in all He says or does. As we study to learn
What Makes Jesus Tick we understand His focus is not on Himself but He is always reaching out to humanity. His heart yearns that all would men and women would tap into the eternal benefits of knowing Him. He demonstrates God’s intended pattern for human attitudes and behavior, His pattern for relationship with the Father. He’s given us, His people, the Holy Spirit to empower us to gradually fit into that pattern.
https://www.apparelsearch.com/
pattern_maker.htm


My paternal grandfather was a pattern maker/cutter in the garment district of New York City. I’m not sure how the process worked. My educated guess is that he had to turn the designers drawings into the patterns for each part of the garments, and the various sizes, the garments would be made for. He then cut the fabric so those operating the sewing machines could make the clothes. He found that by crumpling up the pattern before laying it to cut the fabric less cloth was used. Though this became the standard for many years, I tend to think it was cheating the consumer.
We can compare that process to God creating man in His own image. God
https://www.truebibleteaching.com/
component/content/article/35-science/
326-19-creation-of-adam-and-eve.html
created perfect designs, perfect patterns and perfect everything. He breathed life into everything that has breath. Life in Eden was absolutely perfect and there was no death. Adam and Eve had a wonderful, loving friendship with God; there’s nothing more perfect than that. Then Eve and Adam fell for the enemy’s lie and all of creation got totally messed up. Gradually death came to everything. Life became for a limited time. Even the character of all the animals changed, weeds and thorns began to overwhelm the garden. Worst of all, their relationship with God was never so wonderful again.
God sent His Son to restore the closeness of relationship between Himself and mankind that existed before the fall, and to defeat death. Everything Jesus said or did was to that end, culminating in His death, burial and resurrection. Follow me as we dive back into John and watch the pattern, this process, unfold. The pattern is no longer crumpled up because the Father extravagantly weaves the fabric of our being.
John 10:10a   The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.
We see what the thief did in the garden in this first part of this verse. This was and will always be the enemy’s intent. The source of all the evil we see in the news every day is very obvious. Christians must, 
Ø be vigilant in our obedience to the Father,
Ø be steadfast in clinging to the cross
Ø never believe the lies of the serpent,
Ø flee the appearance of evil.

Matthew 10:16   [A Hard Road before Them] “Listen carefully: I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be wise as serpents, and innocent as doves [have no self-serving agenda]. (AMP)
1 Thessalonians 5:22   Abstain from all appearance of evil. (AMP)
The second part of the verse shows us that following Jesus brings us closer and closer to complete restoration of the life that was stolen. We appreciate the abundance that comes when we return to right relationship with God. Holy Spirit leads us as He helps us conform to the Pattern of Selflessness.
https://www.quora.com/
Is-Israel-land-really-fertile
John 10:10b   I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

 Think about the Pattern of Selflessness of the following verses,
John 10:11   “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
15   As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.
17   “Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.
18   No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This command I have received from My Father.”
John 15:13   Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.
These verses beg the question, “Who are you living for?” OR, is your attitude “What’s in it for ME?”
In John 10 Part 4 (https://lnkd.in/dgDX7Q6) I wrote about Jesus, the Good Shepherd, knowing His sheep. Here, later in the chapter, He has more to say on that. We see him now back at the temple and the Jews still arguing about Jesus being the Messiah. They ask Him again,
24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”
We can hear the cry of His heart in His response in the following verses. Jesus wants everyone to know Him and thus know the Father. Compelled by selfless love, Jesus desperately wants them to:
Ø  BELIEVE
Ø  have eternal life,
Ø have a loving relationship with Himself, His Father and consequently with one another.
Ø  be His sheep in the Father’s hand
John 10: 25   Jesus answered them, “I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father’s name, they bear witness of Me.
26   But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you.
27   My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.
28   And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand.
29   My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand.
30   I and My Father are one.”

Since the day of Pentecost, God has been fulfilling Joel’s prophecy of pouring out the Spirit on all flesh. When we receive that supernatural Baptism of the Spirit we are empowered to do those works referred to in John 10:25. They are demonstrations of God’s love and power and continue to bear witness of who Jesus is. Their purpose is that people would get saved from their sin, and they would accept the salvation only available through our Lord Jesus Christ, the risen savior. Then they too will live according to the Pattern of Selflessness God created us to pattern our life after. That pattern can be summed up in the following verses.
John 3:16   For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
John 15:13   Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends.
John 14:12   “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father.

Prayer: Father, grant us divine appointments with those you came to seek and to save. Give us opportunities to demonstrate, with your supernatural power, the Pattern of Selflessness that reflects Jesus to all we come in contact with. Cause those that oppose You, and everything that is good and righteous in our nation, to have a confrontation with Your matchless love through your people so that they might turn from their wicked ways to the loving Savior. Amen

Comments