The Great Shepherd - Our Servant Leadership Model


John 10 Part 3

Hireling or Servant Leader?
A Look At Work Ethics


Introduction:

There are many great books written about Servant Leadership and I highly recommend the ones written from a Judeo-Christian perspective. In this blog I describe my personal, Biblically based, perspective with insights from my long career in manufacturing, first as a machinist and then many years as an engineer. Jesus shows the contrast between hirelings and Servant Leaders clearly in John Chapter 10.
Thankfully the Virus-Crisis restrictions are gradually ending. If you’re working, or about to return to work, this may help you have a better attitude in the workplace than you left with. Jesus, our Great Shepherd, exemplified the heart of servant leadership. Whether or not you are in leadership in your vocation, if you have the heart to obey His Great Commission to make disciples, functioning as a servant leader becomes who you are. See how this fleshes out in the work place. I write from the perspective of 43 years as a “professional” in secular workplaces, serving God first. I just completed my 2nd year of retirement so it’s a good time to look back.
God Has Called Us to Servant Leadership


The Bible teaches us the difference between the right and wrong approach to working. Note the contrast between verse 11 and verses 12 & 13.
John 10:11   “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
12   But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
13   The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.
Jesus has some very negative things to say about the hireling (one who is hired to do something and compensated for it but has a selfish, “what’s in it for me?” attitude.). The hirelings He rebukes are only in it for the money. At the extreme, their attitude about what they do has nothing to do with doing their best, no concern for quality of their work, no concern for coworkers and only contempt for their employer.

Let me share some personal history that demonstrates how I saw the difference with great clarity. 
Probably inspired by my hard working perfectionist grandparents and parents, I approached tasks from a young age striving to do my absolute best. Some things I was good at and some things not so good, but I always did my best. Usually I still do things multiple times until satisfied that it’s as good as I can get it. 
I started my career in manufacturing in 1975 as a machinist in a union shop. The United Auto Workers union leader of the shop tried to indoctrinate me in the union way. He taught me quickly to always have a rag in my hand so it always looked like I just finished something. Coworkers would tell me to slow down or I would work us all out of a job. In those days UAW stood for, “U Ain’t Working” even though were doing something, receiving union wages and benefits. Many of those guys fit how Jesus described a hireling. Motivated by Holy Spirit, I fought that attitude daily and stood strong against striking every time the contract came up for renewal. 
Years later I was a machine tool company engineer, the factory guru with the technical expertise to help sales people to sell CNC machines to many different companies. I also trained the machinists and programmers. Again I saw hirelings all over the country, many in union shops. I also saw great work ethics in most non-union shops.
My first business trip to a shop in Mexico was a real eye-opener. Those guys worked their butts off, were very smart and satisfied to earn in a week what the union guys in the States made in an hour. Their ingenuity and craftsmanship was fantastic to see but scary too after spending time a week or so before in a mid-western union shop. The contrast made me question how American shops could compete for the work being done in Mexico.
https://www.just-auto.com/news/ford-ships-first-
ventilators-designed-with-3m_id195350.aspx

I’m glad to have heard that that union attitude is changing. There was an article in the news recently about the Ford people going back to work making ventilators and other PPEs (personal protective equipment) for less than they could have made on unemployment during this Virus-Crisis. Hats off to those selfless UAW people.I’m glad to have heard that that union attitude is changing. There was an article in the news recently about the Ford people going back to work making ventilators and other PPEs (personal protective equipment) for less than they could have made on unemployment during this Virus-Crisis. Hats off to those selfless UAW people.

***
I have not been able to get past John 10:11-13 for some time. When I see these verses, I look back and see some failures that cause me to ask myself if I had some hireling attitudes. I’ll be the 2nd to say I’m not perfect in this (my wife will be the first to make such a statement). There were some times that those I reported to perceived my poor attitude, but probably I was asked to do things beyond my skill level. Failures might have become successes with some good training but I was working for managers, not servant leaders. (Put a note in the box at the bottom of the blog, or send me a message and I can point you to more on that.)
https://www.pubhist.com/w19837
Pieter Bruegel,  Hireling ShepherdPhiladelphia Museum of Art,
Jesus exposes the negative effect of the hireling on those he was supposed protect. There are lots of packs of wolves in the world that the hireling runs from, leaving the people they are responsible for defenseless against the enemy. As Christians, our responsibility is to be our “brother’s keeper,” even if just the janitor or delivery guy. IF you walk in the Spirit at the workplace, the Lord will give you the right things to say that can diffuse bad situations, protect those you care for and encourage those in authority to do the right thing. That’s a big IF; be sure you are led by the Lord or the consequences may not be very pretty.
https://presenttruth.info/galatians-516-18/
Romans 8:1   There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
Galatians 5:16   I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Galatians 5:24   And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25   If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
26   Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another.
King David was also a great example of a servant leader. Though a sheep tender, David obviously understood Cain’s attitude was evil.
Genesis 4:9   Then the Lord said to Cain, “Where is Abel your brother?” He said, “I do not know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”
Take a look at young David’s attitude about Goliath. David had great ethics long before he had any military or governmental authority. When the confrontation with Goliath arose, David put his life on the line and showed his servant leader attitude which is a great example for us. David was not a hireling hiding in the tents afraid of that giant bear of a man. Though not a soldier yet, David was determined to do what needed to be done, but not without going through the chain of command. He knew that by God’s grace he could do the job and King Saul gave him the opportunity to prove it.
1 Samuel 17:34   But David said to Saul, “Your servant used to keep his father’s sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock,
35   I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it.
36   Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God.”
37   Moreover David said, “The Lord, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine.”

I had an all too rare experience with a great servant leader a few years ago. I was a Sr. Level Engineer with a great Christian boss. He called me on the carpet for something I messed up. By the time our discussion ended I knew what I did wrong but, more importantly, felt encouraged in the Lord and built up in my spirit. 
So, take stock of your work ethic. Is it in line with loving your neighbor as yourself? Are you more concerned for the success and welfare of your co-workers than yourself? Do you act towards your superiors as a man pleaser or is your integrity so far above reproach you’ll be listened to if you disagree with them? Do your co-workers see you as a godly person, walking in the Spirit with the joy of the Lord and overcoming obstacles with God’s help? EXEMPLIFY SERVANT LEADERSHIP NO MATTER what kind of a superior you report to, no matter what your responsibilities are. Unselfishly seek the good of your coworkers and the company you work for.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, we desperately need Your help. We desperately need You to keep us in communication with You, receiving Your wisdom, guidance and checks on our attitudes. Let Your people shine bright in the workplace and wherever we are in public or at home with family.

The Message Bible puts the verse about asking God to create in us a clean heart in a fascinating context, a great ending to this blog.

Psalm 51:7-15   Soak me in your laundry and I’ll come out clean,
scrub me and I’ll have a snow-white life.
Tune me in to foot-tapping songs,
set these once-broken bones to dancing.
Don’t look too close for blemishes,
give me a clean bill of health.
God, make a fresh start in me,
shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don’t throw me out with the trash,
or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
put a fresh wind in my sails!
Give me a job teaching rebels your ways
so the lost can find their way home.
Commute my death sentence, God, my salvation God,
and I’ll sing anthems to your life-giving ways.
Unbutton my lips, dear God;
I’ll let loose with your praise. [MSG]


Comments